#COOKING: FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE
French Onion Soup. In addition to washing those hands and exercising Social Distancing, a strong immune system is needed to navigate this period ahead. We all need a good dose of Vitamin C, but instead of oranges, how about onions?
We adore French Onion Soup, which notoriously is tricky to make. With all the time in the world right now, when better than now to finally tackle this savoury sensation? 🇫🇷🌰
6 large white onions, chopped thinly
8 cups of beef broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons organic cane sugar
Black Pepper to taste
Sea Salt to taste
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
1 French Baguette
1. Chop onions thinly.
2. In large soup pot on medium heat, sautée onions in 3 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring frequently for 15 minutes.
3. Turn-up heat to medium-high, add butter and one tablespoon olive oil. Cook another 15 minutes, stirring frequently as onions start browning.
4. Add-in sugar and one teaspoon of sea salt (or more if you like). Cook another 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add-in garlic. Cook for one minute.
6. Add wine and scrape brown bits from bottom of pot.
7. Add beef stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, add pepper and salt to taste. Simmer for 45 minutes or longer.
8. Skim excess oil, herbs and remove bay leaves.
8. When about ready to serve, heat oven to 450°F. Cut baguette into approximately 2-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake about 7 minutes.
9. Flip bread pieces over and stack grated Gruyere on-top and return to oven, baking until cheese and bread are golden-brown.
10. Ladle soup into bowls and top with piece of toasted cheese bread and serve. Dunk bread into soup for that gooey, cheesy texture.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
View this post on Instagram