#COOKING: CLASSIC CHILI X SWEET CHEESY CORNBREAD RECIPE
Classic Chili & Sweet Cheesy Cornbread. Chili is one of those dishes that is no fuss and easy to prepare. Most of all, it is tough to botch it! Everyone’s got their own way of going about it. We’re sharing our Classic Chili recipe. Nothing fancy here in terms of add-ins, but this is hearty, hits the spot and just perfect with our Sweet Cheesy Cornbread on the side.
1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
1 jar of Tomato Sauce
1 can of Tomato Paste
1 can of Red Kidney Beans
1 cup of Beef Broth
1 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Red Chili, seeded and minced
1 Sweet Red Pepper, seeded and minced
3 Bay Leaves
3 tsps organic raw sugar
3 tbsps Chili Powder
2 tsps Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (add more if you prefer it spicier)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Sour Cream (optional)
Extra shredded cheese (optional)
Sweet Cheesy Cornbread
1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Cornmeal
3/4 cup Whole Milk
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella/Cheddar mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup corn kernels
2 eggs, room temperature
3 tbsps organic raw sugar
3 tbsps organic honey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 stalk green onion, minced
1. In soup pot, sauteé onion, garlic and red chili.
2. Add in ground beef and cook till browned on medium heat.
3. Add in sugar, bay leaves, chili power, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika, stirring evenly.
4. Add tomatoes, beans, red peppers, tomato sauce and paste, stirring evenly.
5. Add in broth, stirring evenly. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer covered, on low heat for about two hours, stirring occasionally. Finish with salt to taste.
6. With about an hour left, pre-heat oven at 350°F. Prepare Sweet Cheesy Cornbread.
7. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
8. In separate bowl, whisk eggs, honey, milk and melted butter.
9. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture, careful not to over-mix.
10. Add in corn kernels, green onion and half of shredded cheese.
11. Transfer to greased baking pan. Top batter with rest of cheese.
12. Bake 30 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
13. Garnish Chili in a bowl with Sour Cream and shredded cheese and serve with Cornbread. Keep Cornbread in freezer once cooled and store in air-tight bag, thawing about an hour before serving.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)