#COOKING: FEAST FOR A KING | BLUEBERRY TIRAMISU RECIPE
Feast for a King. We’ve been on our best behaviour and it’s time for a feast! This combines all our favourites, Rib Steak, Sushi, Jumbo U.S. Spot Prawns and of course Uni (Sea Urchin), which is only available at points in the year at your local seafood market. We were so lucky to come across some so we thought we’d splurge a little! Incredibly creamy and umami, Uni might be an acquired taste for some, but it is the most amazing thing we’ve ever tasted. This feast is simple, sophisticated and elegant. And we’ve earned it!
Finish this off with a dead-simple Blueberry Tiramisu which you prepare the day before. No baking – just simple easy-to-find ingredients.
1 lb Jumbo U.S. Spot Prawns
10 oz Rib Steak
10 pieces fresh Uni/Sea Urchin
1 cup Botan Calrose Rice
3 tbps Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1 tsp organic raw sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 sheets Nori, quartered and toasted
Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
1. Season steak with Himalayan Salt and Peppercorns, refrigerate for about 3 hours and bring out about 45 minutes before cooking.
2. In rice cooker, prepare rice. Rinse once and add 1 1/2 cups water. Cook fully and unplug once finished. Open lid and season with rice vinegar, salt and sugar. Mix gently and leave lid open to breathe. Once slightly-cooled, scoop into a serving bowl.
3. Pre-heat oven at 200°F. Place Nori on baking sheet (ungreased) and bake for about a 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn. You are toasting til crisp. Remove tray from oven right away. Stack on plate for serving.
3. Clean shrimp. Bring pot of salt water to boil and add prawns. Cook medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes till cooked. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and arrange on plate.
4. Rinse Uni in cold water gently. Pat gently with paper towels till try. Arrange on plate and keep chilled till ready to serve.
5. Pre-heat Air Fryer at 400°F for 3 minutes. Brush steak sparingly with olive oil and fry for about 8 minutes. Once cooked, remove from Fryer and slice into thin strips. Season once more with Himalayan Salt. Arrange on plate.
6. In shallow small dish, combine Wasabi and Soy Sauce to taste.
7. Serve by taking Nori sheet, with one spoon of rice scooped-on. Dip Uni, Steak and Prawns in Wasabi-Soy and wrap in Nori and rice. Eat with hands.
24 Nilla Wafers or about 16 Ladyfingers
473 ml carton of Whipping Cream
250g tub of Mascarpone/Cream Cheese/Smooth Ricotta (room temperature)
2 tbsps Coffee Liqueur
2 tbsps high-grade Instant Coffee (brand suggestion: Davidoff or Maxim)
1 cup fresh Blueberries
3 tbsps icing sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsps Cocoa Powder
1. In small bowl, mix equal parts hot water and instant coffee. Add coffee liqueur. Stir well and set aside.
2. In large bowl, use handmixer to mix whipping cream till stiff peaks form. Mix-in cheese, vanilla and icing sugar until smoooth and creamy. Do not over-mix.
3. Dip Nilla Wafers in coffee mixture quickly and layer along bottom of loaf pan/dish.
4. Spoon cream on-top. Stack with layer of blueberries and then coffee-dipped Nilla Wafers. Layer again with remaining cream.
5. Sift Cocoa Powder on-top. Cover with wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.
6. When ready to serve, scoop onto dish and top with more blueberries.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
#COOKING: STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS IN RED WINE REDUCTION X BACON-GREEN ONION-GARLIC MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
Steak with Mushrooms in Red Wine Reduction x Bacon-Green Onion-Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Ain’t nothing like a steak done right, right? No well-done, here, sorry! 👋
Steak & Marinade:
1 1/2 lbs Top Sirloin
3 tbsps Balsamic Vinegar
4-5 tbsps soy sauce
3 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
4 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red chilli, seeded and minced
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
1 pint small white mushrooms
1/2 white onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup red wine (optional) or water
1 tbsp organic raw sugar
Pepper to taste
1. In large platter, mix garlic, balsamic, chilli, pepper, honey, 3 tbsps soy, Worcestershire and 2 tbsps olive oil. Marinate steak in this overnight in large Ziploc bag(s) for minimum two hours.
2. Heat large skillet on medium-high. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and when hot, sear steak for about 3-5 minutes each side, depending on thickness. Transfer to a warm platter.
3. Sautée onions and mushrooms in 1 tbsp olive oil, till caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
4. As soon as there is a bit of charring, add 1/4 cup wine or water, 1 tbsp sugar and 1-2 tbsps soy sauce. Àdd a bit of water if there isn’t much liquid. Allow to reduce uncovered for about 5 minutes till thickened.
5. Pour over steak and serve with Bacon, Green Onion x Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Bacon, Green Onion x Garlic Mashed Potatoes
2 large white potatoes, diced
4 strips bacon, diced
2 tbsps unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk green onion, minced
3 tbsps heavy cream
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Boil potatoes in salt water till soft. Drain water. Fluff with fork and put aside, leaving in pot.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
3. In pan, sautée garlic in butter. Once slightly browned, pour mixture into potatoes. Add cream, salt and pepper and mix till smooth and creamy with handmixer.
4. In pan, fry bacon till cooked, not too crispy. Remove bacon from pan. Use paper towels to pat-out bacon.
5. Leave a small bit of oil in pan and quickly sautée green onion.
6. Transfer mashed potatoes into a baking pan. Cover with bacon and green onions.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
View this post on Instagram