#COOKING: SAVOURY MISO OATMEAL RECIPE
Savoury Miso Oatmeal. Who said Oatmeal had to be boring and basic? Try this amazing recipe for a savoury oatmeal which should leave you with some leftovers so you won’t have to worry about breakfast the next day! This idea came years ago when I interviewed Giada DeLaurentiis and she told me her favourite go-to breakfast was savoury oatmeal. Since then, I’ve been obsessed with the idea! Guaranteed this will leave you starting your day energized and satiated!
2/3 cup quick cooking oats
6 cups water
8 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
1/2 white onion, minced
1/4 cup corn kernels
10 grape tomatoes
1 heaping tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak oats in water till just covered for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Bring water to boil with salt.
3. Add miso paste and oats, boiling on medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat slightly-uncovered.
4. Cook till oats fully expand and mixture is thick.
5. While cooking oats, heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
6. Sautée mushrooms, onions, corn and tomatoes till mixture is caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Once oats are cooked and thick, crack an egg into mixture, stirring gently as wispy egg clouds form. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Turn off heat and let sit for a couple minutes.
9. Scoop mixture into bowls. Top with with mushroom mixture and grated cheese. Serve.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
#COOKING: MEATLESS MISO KRAFT DINNER RECIPE
Meatless Miso Mac & Cheese. Take your Kraft Dinner and elevate it with this amplified take on a comforting favourite! The combination of cheese and miso you’d think would be too salty, but this is a perfect marriage. KD has a bad rap but it has a healthy serving of protein, aids in iron absorption and contains minerals that help with boosting metabolism, your immune system and brain function. 🧀
1 box Kraft Dinner
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon Miso paste
1/2 package Yves Original Veggie Ground Round
6-8 large white mushrooms, sliced thin
8 grape tomatoes
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 cup Arugula
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1/4 cup old white cheddar, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare Kraft Dinner, cooking noodles. Strain in colander.
2. In skillet, sautée mushrooms, onions and tomatoes in oil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
3. Stir-in 1/2 tablespoon of Miso paste, continue to fry until vegetables wilt.
4. Add-in meatless Ground Round and stir-fry for about two to three minutes on medium heat.
5. Prepare cheese sauce in a medium-sized sauce pan that is oven-safe. Melt butter and 1/2 tablespoon Miso paste in sauce pan. Add packet of cheese powder and milk. Once sauce just is about to bubble, turn heat off. Fold-in macaroni and vegetable/ground round mixture. Mix evenly till sauce is dispersed.
6. Stir-in Arugula gently till dispersed. Grate old cheddar over the top.
7. Broil mixture 5 minutes in oven. Allow to cool and serve.
View this post on Instagram
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)