#COOKING: SAVOURY MISO OATMEAL RECIPE
Savoury Miso Oatmeal. Who said Oatmeal had to be boring and basic? Try this amazing recipe for a savoury oatmeal which should leave you with some leftovers so you won’t have to worry about breakfast the next day! This idea came years ago when I interviewed Giada DeLaurentiis and she told me her favourite go-to breakfast was savoury oatmeal. Since then, I’ve been obsessed with the idea! Guaranteed this will leave you starting your day energized and satiated!
2/3 cup quick cooking oats
6 cups water
8 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
1/2 white onion, minced
1/4 cup corn kernels
10 grape tomatoes
1 heaping tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak oats in water till just covered for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Bring water to boil with salt.
3. Add miso paste and oats, boiling on medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat slightly-uncovered.
4. Cook till oats fully expand and mixture is thick.
5. While cooking oats, heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
6. Sautée mushrooms, onions, corn and tomatoes till mixture is caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Once oats are cooked and thick, crack an egg into mixture, stirring gently as wispy egg clouds form. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Turn off heat and let sit for a couple minutes.
9. Scoop mixture into bowls. Top with with mushroom mixture and grated cheese. Serve.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)