Air Fryer Doughnuts. We honestly cannot be trusted with our Ninja Kitchen Air Fryer! Nothing beats fresh doughnuts and these are a great way to start your day. We have three different versions for variety! This recipe yields 6-8 doughnuts and you can keep them out at room temperature in an air-tight container for 1-2 days. Just refresh in the microwave for about 10 seconds!
Doughnuts:1 3/4 cups flour
Maple-Bacon Glaze:1/2 cup + 3 tbsps icing sugar
Vanilla Glaze:1/2 cup + 3 tbps icing sugar
Cinnamon Sugar:3 tbsps granulated organic sugar
1. In small bowl, heat milk till lukewarm (not too hot). Add 2 tbsps sugar and stir well. Mix-in yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes to activate.
2. Add 1 cup flour, egg, remaining sugar and salt into milk mixture, mixing with handmixer till smooth. Add remaining flour in and mix again till smooth. Add a small bit of flour in bit-by-bit if required till dough no longer sticks to bowl.
3. Turn onto flat, clean and floured surface and knead for about 6 minutes to elastic.
4. Coat clean large bowl with coconut oil and transfer dough ball into it. Cover with plastic wrap and place somewhere warm for 80-90 minutes till dough doubles in size.
5. Transfer dough again to flat, clean and lightly-floured surface and knead for another 5 minutes.
6. Roll dough flat to about 1/2″ thick. Use cutter to cut circles. Use smaller circle cutter to cut-out centers of doughnuts. You can re-shape that dough to make extra doughnuts or use as doughnut holes.
7. Place doughnuts on platter and cover with plastic wrap. Place somewhere warm to rise for 30 minutes more or if you like, refrigerate overnight.
8. Preheat Air Fryer on Air Fryer mode for 3 minutes at 350°F.
9. Brush doughnuts lightly with coconut oil. Divide doughnuts into 2 batches and fry 5 minutes each.
10. Prepare any or all of the glazes above in separate bowls, mixing till smooth.
11. Allow doughnuts to cool completely at room temperature (30 minutes) and dip into glazes. Garnish with respective toppings (sprinkles, bacon). If making Cinnamon-Sugar, brush doughnuts lightly with coconut oil and toss into a resealable storage bag to coat.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
For fun, Canada’s favourite Coffee & Doughnut Chain Tim Hortons took Actor Jason Priestley‘s idea of cramming a Timbit (Donut Hole) within a Doughnut so much, that they created a Creation in his honour, The Priestley. Essentially, they take a Chocolate Timbit and bake it inside a Strawberry Vanilla Doughnut, as the jelly filling enrobes the Timbit after hearing about his idea originally on Twitter.
Priestley, who soon will be in Toronto for David Mamet‘s political Play Race between April and May, was ecstatic upon receiving the Tweet from Tim Hortons, replying “Thank you Tim Hortons!!! This is the proudest day of my life!!! A doughnut named after me at Timmie‘s?? #bestdayever”.
Now, if the Marketing Department truly were savvy, they’d start approaching other notable Canadian Celebrities for Doughnut of the Month-type Collaborations. Could you imagine a crunchy Potato Chip-topped Doughnut by Celine Dion? Shania‘s favourite fruits-filled Donut? Genius!
(Photo credit: @TimHortons)
For advertising opportunites please contact firstname.lastname@example.org