#COOKING: SPICY PEACH CALIFORNIA ROLL RECIPE
Spicy Peach California Rolls. We had forgotten how fun it is to make Sushi at home! These are simple and while it might take a couple tries to perfect a nice tight roll, this is totally worth it and fun to do with others.
1 1/2 cups Botan Calrose Rice
4 sheets Nori
2 eggs, beaten
4 strips of Surimi (artificial crab), halved length-wise
1/4 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
1/2 avocado, sliced into thin strips
4 tbsps seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsps organic raw sugar
3 tbsps black sesame, toasted
1 peach, skinned and sliced thin
1 tbsp organic raw sugar
3 tbsps Mayonnaise
1 tsp Sriracha
1. Cook rice in rice cooker with 2 1/4 cups of water. Unplug once cooked and cool for 10 minutes. Stir-in vinegar, sugar and salt to taste and set aside. Sprinkle sesame seeds and mix gently into rice.
2. In sauce pan, cook peach slices with 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water on medium heat till softened (about 5 minutes), stirring often. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and mix-in Mayo and Sriracha
and whisk with fork till smooth.
3. Set toaster oven to 200°F. Toast Nori
for about 1 minute, careful not to toast too long as these burn quickly. Set aside.
4. Grease skillet and fry beaten egg, folding over with spatula 3-4 times as it cooks till it forms a narrow rectangular bar. Set aside once cooked and slice into thin strips.
5. Line plastic wrap on bamboo sushi mat. Once rice cools down, divide into four equal portions. Use clean hands and pat rice down onto wrap. Flatten rice with hands until you have enough to cover about 3/4 of a Nori
sheet. Occasionally rinse hands with water if too sticky. Place Nori
sheet on-top of rice, shiny side facing you.
6. Line avocado, cucumber, artificial crab and egg strips length-wise in rows.
7. Carefully lift edge of Nori
and roll it over filling. Continue to roll over about 2-3 more times over and cover it with plastic wrap. Take bamboo mat and wrap it over the sushi roll. Roll 2-3 times tightly, careful not to press too hard.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half. Then take each half and cut three pieces. Rinse knife with water if it gets too sticky.
9. Arrange pieces on plate. Top with small dollop of Sriracha-Peach Mayo
and a small bit of avocado. Serve with wasabi
and soy sauce if you like. Yields about 24 maki
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)