#COOKING: FEAST FOR A KING | BLUEBERRY TIRAMISU RECIPE
Feast for a King. We’ve been on our best behaviour and it’s time for a feast! This combines all our favourites, Rib Steak, Sushi, Jumbo U.S. Spot Prawns and of course Uni (Sea Urchin), which is only available at points in the year at your local seafood market. We were so lucky to come across some so we thought we’d splurge a little! Incredibly creamy and umami, Uni might be an acquired taste for some, but it is the most amazing thing we’ve ever tasted. This feast is simple, sophisticated and elegant. And we’ve earned it!
Finish this off with a dead-simple Blueberry Tiramisu which you prepare the day before. No baking – just simple easy-to-find ingredients.
1 lb Jumbo U.S. Spot Prawns
10 oz Rib Steak
10 pieces fresh Uni/Sea Urchin
1 cup Botan Calrose Rice
3 tbps Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1 tsp organic raw sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 sheets Nori, quartered and toasted
Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
1. Season steak with Himalayan Salt and Peppercorns, refrigerate for about 3 hours and bring out about 45 minutes before cooking.
2. In rice cooker, prepare rice. Rinse once and add 1 1/2 cups water. Cook fully and unplug once finished. Open lid and season with rice vinegar, salt and sugar. Mix gently and leave lid open to breathe. Once slightly-cooled, scoop into a serving bowl.
3. Pre-heat oven at 200°F. Place Nori on baking sheet (ungreased) and bake for about a 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn. You are toasting til crisp. Remove tray from oven right away. Stack on plate for serving.
3. Clean shrimp. Bring pot of salt water to boil and add prawns. Cook medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes till cooked. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and arrange on plate.
4. Rinse Uni in cold water gently. Pat gently with paper towels till try. Arrange on plate and keep chilled till ready to serve.
5. Pre-heat Air Fryer at 400°F for 3 minutes. Brush steak sparingly with olive oil and fry for about 8 minutes. Once cooked, remove from Fryer and slice into thin strips. Season once more with Himalayan Salt. Arrange on plate.
6. In shallow small dish, combine Wasabi and Soy Sauce to taste.
7. Serve by taking Nori sheet, with one spoon of rice scooped-on. Dip Uni, Steak and Prawns in Wasabi-Soy and wrap in Nori and rice. Eat with hands.
24 Nilla Wafers or about 16 Ladyfingers
473 ml carton of Whipping Cream
250g tub of Mascarpone/Cream Cheese/Smooth Ricotta (room temperature)
2 tbsps Coffee Liqueur
2 tbsps high-grade Instant Coffee (brand suggestion: Davidoff or Maxim)
1 cup fresh Blueberries
3 tbsps icing sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsps Cocoa Powder
1. In small bowl, mix equal parts hot water and instant coffee. Add coffee liqueur. Stir well and set aside.
2. In large bowl, use handmixer to mix whipping cream till stiff peaks form. Mix-in cheese, vanilla and icing sugar until smoooth and creamy. Do not over-mix.
3. Dip Nilla Wafers in coffee mixture quickly and layer along bottom of loaf pan/dish.
4. Spoon cream on-top. Stack with layer of blueberries and then coffee-dipped Nilla Wafers. Layer again with remaining cream.
5. Sift Cocoa Powder on-top. Cover with wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.
6. When ready to serve, scoop onto dish and top with more blueberries.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
#COOKING: TIRAMISU OREO TIRAMISU RECIPE
Tiramisu Oreo Tiramisu. Now for a limited-time only, Tiramisu Oreos are available. And they’re amazing! This was a chance to combine two favourites! I love that Tiramisu doesn’t need to be baked, hence less work and it honestly tastes better by the day. Something euphoric happens with you get a taste of that coffee and Mascarpone together and you get the nose once you take a bite.
If you don’t have Coffee Liquer, boil a simple syrup of equal parts organic raw sugar and water (3/4 cup each), three tbsps high-grade freeze-dried coffee (I use a Japanese coffee by Maxim). Once cooled a bit, add 1 tsp vanilla and 2/3 cup Vodka. Allow to cool before using. Easy.
2 packs (24 total) Ladyfinger biscuits
1 275g tub of Mascarpone or Cream Cheese plus 1/4 cup of whipping cream
3 eggs, separated and room temperature
3/4 cup double-strength coffee or Espresso, room temperature
2/3 cup whipping cream
2 tbsps organic raw sugar
2 tbsps icing sugar
1/4 cup Coffee Liquer
10 Tiramisu Oreos, crushed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Mix half of Coffee Liquer and coffee in a shallow platter or bowl.
2. Dip one side only of each Ladyfinger into coffee. Arrange along bottom of rectangular dish. Break some of them to fill gaps, ensuring bottom is covered. Press down gently with hands.
3. In large bowl using hand mixer, whip Mascarpone with vanilla and remainder of liquer.
4. Whisk egg yolks and raw sugar till creamy in a bowl placed within a larger bowl containing a bit of warm water.
5. Using handmixer, add yolk mixture into Mascarpone.
6. In separate bowl, whip your whipping cream with handmixer. Fold with spatula into Mascarpone.
7. In another bowl, whip egg whites and salt with handmixer till stiff peaks form. Add icing sugar and whip till stiff peaks stand on their own.
8. Fold egg whites into Mascarpone with spatula till just combined. Mixture should be fluffy and creamy.
9. Pour half of the mixture over dipped Ladyfingers. Sprinkle some crushed Tiramisu Oreos crumbs on-top.
10. Repeat step 2.
11. Repeat step 9 without crushed Oreos.
12. Refrigerate covered for 2 hours.
13. Using sieve, dust cocoa powder over top. Sprinkle with more crushed Tiramisu Oreos. Cover.
14. Refrigerate overnight. Serve.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)