#COOKING: SZECHUAN EGGPLANT RECIPE
Szechuan Eggplant. I’ve received requests for eggplant recipes and what I love about Oh, Aubergines is that it is substantial enough to be a main course. Topped with mounds of garlic, chilli, with the freshness of coriander and green onion, you won’t miss meat for a meal when your veggies are done right like this. 🍆🌶️
I’m all for reducing our carbon footprint and eating a bit cleaner, so enjoy this recipe if you’re looking for a flavourful break from meat proteins.
4 Japanese Eggplants
2 garlic bulbs, minced
2 red Thai chillies, minced
2 stalks green onion, minced
4 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsps sesame oil
1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp 5 Spice Powder
Sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven at 410°F.
2. Cut each egg plant in half vertically. Using knife score criss-cross grid pattern across flesh of each eggplant.
3. Sautée garlic till just about caramelized.
4. In bowl, mix fish sauce, 3 tbsps soy sauce, 1/2 tsp 5 Spice Powder, 1 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp olive oil. Brush half of mixture over eggplant. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and brush with remainder of soy mixture. Bake 15 more minutes.
6. In bowl, mix garlic, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp 5 Spice powder, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp sesame oil. Season with salt, to taste.
7. Scoop garlic on-top of eggplant. Bake 10 minutes more or till skin of eggplant begins curling-up.
8. Sprinkle chillies, coriander and green onion on-top and serve.
(Photo/video credit: Mr. Will Wong)