#COOKING: MEATLESS CURRY BUNS RECIPE
Meatless Curry Buns. Delicious Brioche with mildly-spicy “meaty” filling. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or a snack. And they freeze well! By all means, use ground beef if you like instead.
5 cups flour
2 1/2 tsps yeast
3 tbsps organic raw sugar
1/2 tbsp sea salt
3 tbsps cold unsalted butter
4 tbsps condensed milk
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
Sesame seeds, toasted
1 cup Yves Ground Round
1/2 white potato, diced
1/4 white onion, minced
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 carrots, diced
1/4 cup green peas
6-8 mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 block Glico Medium Curry
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mix flour, salt and butter in mixing bowl. Use 2 forks criss-crossing to cut butter in.
2. In bowl, mix 1/2 cup lukewarm water (not warm or hot) with condensed milk, yeast and sugar till dissolved. Stand a few minutes.
3. Mix yeast water into flour bit by bit, using forks. Pour another 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water, forming dough.
4. Turn dough onto flat, floured surface. Sprinkle with flour till dough no longer is sticky. Knead 10 minutes till punchy.
5. Grease large bowl and transfer dough into it. Cover with damp cloth and place in oven on top rack with a pot of hot water on the rack below. Shut oven. Replace hot water again in 30 minutes.
6. Prep filling. Sautée garlic and onions till caramelized. Add potatoes and mushrooms. Cook till translucent. Add ground round, carrots, corn and peas. Cook about 5 minutes. Add Glico Curry, 2/3 cup water and coconut milk. Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
6. Dough will double in size in 1 to 1.5 hours if proofed right. If it’s risen but not enough, proof a bit longer.
7. Grease baking sheet. Knead dough for 5 minutes. Cut dough in half, separating each half into 6 even pieces on lightly-floured surface. Flatten each piece with hands. Fill with tbsp of filling. Pinch and seal each bun tightly, sealed side facing bottom. Place on tray.
8. Proof again for 45 minutes covered, with pot of hot water underneath in oven.
9. Preheat oven at 400°F. Brush top of loaf with egg wash using fingers or a brush. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, pressing them in gently.
10. Bake for 17-20 minutes or till golden brown. Rotate pan once, half-way through. Cool 20 minutes and serve.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)