#COOKING: BLACK PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN STEAK RECIPE
Black Pepper Fried Chicken Steak. This is a favourite, which traditionally is deep-fried but I’ve adapted it for the Air Fryer. And it came out perfect! A crispy, Panko-crusted chicken fillet topped with a spicy, savoury brown gravy, served with rice. This is something I grew-up with, a staple at any Hong Kong-style Diner or food court, and actually not too tough to prepare at home. Come to think of it, this is a converging of Southern cuisine and Hong Kong cuisine. We know Americans in the South love them Country Fried Steak and a nice gravy too!
6-8 Chicken Drumsticks de-boned or thin Chicken Breast filets
2/3 cup Panko
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 cup Beef Broth
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
3 tbsps Soy Sauce
2 tbsps Corn or Tapioca Starch
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsps Organic Raw Sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Canola Oil
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 white onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1. Season chicken in half of salt and pepper, allow to stand 30 minutes.
2. Mix salt, pepper, Panko, garlic and onion powder in shallow platter.
3. Prep shallow platter for egg wash.
4. Preheat Air Fryer for 3 minutes at 390°F.
5. Coat chicken in egg wash and then dip in Panko mixture.
6. Arrange a batch of 3-4 chicken pieces in Air Fryer. Cook for about 8 minutes, turning once halfway through.
7. Once cooked, set aside in platter.
8. In skillet, sautée onions and garlic in oil till caramelized. Add stock, soy sauce, Worcestershire, pepper, salt and sugar. Bring to boil.
9. Make a slurry with starch and equal parts water. Mix into gravy to thicken. Bring to boil and set aside.
10. Arrange chicken and rice on serving plate. Pour sauce over top and garnish with parsley.