#COOKING: BLUEBERRY SCONES RECIPE
Blueberry Scones. Delicious doesn’t have to be complicated. These scones are the perfect breakfast or teatime snack. The fact that blueberries are so juicy and plump right now, you shouldn’t need butter or jam as these are perfect as is.
2 cups flour (and more for kneading)
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 cup 18% cream
½ cup unsalted butter, grated
6 tbsps organic raw sugar (or more if you like)
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
Additional cream and sugar to brush and sprinkle on-top
1. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Cut butter in using two knives till mixture resembles peas.
2. In separate bowl, whisk egg, cream and vanilla. Pour this over flour mixture.
3. Add blueberries, mixing gently till everything is just combined into a batter.
4. Gradually add a tablespoon of flour in until your mixture reaches the consistency of a dough, careful not to add too much flour.
5. Once firm enough, transfer to a flat, clean and floured surface to knead gently into a dough. Add flour bit by bit if required. Do not over-knead.
6. Form dough into a disc and take a clean knife, cutting into 8 triangles. Clean knife if it gets too sticky for a clean cut.
7. Pre-heat oven at 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Place scones on parchment paper-lined tray or dish and put into your freezer for about 15 minutes.
9. Transfer scones to baking sheet and brush with cream. Sprinkle raw sugar on-top with a sieve.
10. Bake for 25 minutes approximately or till just golden. Once cooled, store in air-tight container room temperature for up to two days. These freeze well.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
#COOKING: BLUEBERRY-PEACH PIE RECIPE
Blueberry-Peach Pie. A recipe for the scorching heat we’re experiencing! Nothing says Summer like these flavours. Topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, this is heaven! The crust is no fuss, just follow the steps! 🍑
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps sea salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup Crisco Golden All-Vegetable Shortening, room temperature
1/2 cup cold water
5 peaches, skinned, pitted and sliced
2 small packs of blueberries
6 tbsps flour
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp organic raw sugar (or more if you like!)
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg beaten, used as egg wash
1. Prepare pastry, combining ingredients, adding water 1 tbsp at a time, handling minimally. Knead dough gently on floured surface. Roll into ball. Chill minimum 2 hours, no more than 5 days.
2. Prep filling. Mix flour, sugar and spices. Add peaches and blueberries, mixing gently. Let stand half an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Cut dough into halves. Shape into discs. Roll first half starting from center-outwards onto floured surface.
5. Fit dough into pie dish, covering edges. Prick bottom with fork a few times. Scoop filling into shell. Cut-in bits of butter into filling. Chill 15-20 minutes.
6. Take other half of dough and form circle large enough to cover top of pie dish, rolling center-outwards on floured surface. Use ruler and cut 10-12 equal size strips.
7. Layer strips, forming lattice over top of pie, sealing edges tight.
8. Brush top of lattice using egg wash using brush or finger. Mix tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and dust over lattice.
9. Place pie dish on baking sheet. Use foil and form a ring around edge of crust.
10. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F with pie in oven and bake another 30-35 minutes till golden. 10 minutes before finished, carefully remove foil ring.
11. Cool minimum 3 hours. Serve with ice cream.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)