#COOKING: BLUEBERRY SCONES RECIPE
Blueberry Scones. Delicious doesn’t have to be complicated. These scones are the perfect breakfast or teatime snack. The fact that blueberries are so juicy and plump right now, you shouldn’t need butter or jam as these are perfect as is.
2 cups flour (and more for kneading)
1 pint fresh blueberries
1 cup 18% cream
½ cup unsalted butter, grated
6 tbsps organic raw sugar (or more if you like)
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
Additional cream and sugar to brush and sprinkle on-top
1. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Cut butter in using two knives till mixture resembles peas.
2. In separate bowl, whisk egg, cream and vanilla. Pour this over flour mixture.
3. Add blueberries, mixing gently till everything is just combined into a batter.
4. Gradually add a tablespoon of flour in until your mixture reaches the consistency of a dough, careful not to add too much flour.
5. Once firm enough, transfer to a flat, clean and floured surface to knead gently into a dough. Add flour bit by bit if required. Do not over-knead.
6. Form dough into a disc and take a clean knife, cutting into 8 triangles. Clean knife if it gets too sticky for a clean cut.
7. Pre-heat oven at 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Place scones on parchment paper-lined tray or dish and put into your freezer for about 15 minutes.
9. Transfer scones to baking sheet and brush with cream. Sprinkle raw sugar on-top with a sieve.
10. Bake for 25 minutes approximately or till just golden. Once cooled, store in air-tight container room temperature for up to two days. These freeze well.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)