#COOKING: KENTUCKY DERBY CAKE WITH WOODFORD RESERVE BOURBON RECIPE
Kentucky Derby Cake. For the first time in 75 years, the most exciting 2 minutes in Sports won’t be contested the first Saturday in May. We’re still celebrating! 95% of all Bourbon is produced in Kentucky and we thought we’d celebrate this beautiful state and our love for horses with this moist, buttery, nutty creation pronounced with the popular whiskey. And what says Kentucky Derby more than an adornment of roses? We’re taking you into the winner’s circle! Might we suggest a nice, bright Bourbon cocktail like a Libertine to go with your slice? 🌹🏇
2 3/4 cups flour
1 cup butter, room temperature
3 tbsp Crisco Golden
1 cup whole milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice, let sit 1 hour room temperature
3/4 cup organic raw sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup Bourbon (Woodford Reserve, official Kentucky Derby sponsor)
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Bourbon Pecan Icing:
2 cups icing sugar
3 tbsps Bourbon
1/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven at 350°F.
2. In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and Crisco.
3. In separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In small bowl, mix milk, Bourbon and vanilla.
5. Combine flour into butter bit by bit, beating with handmixer.
6. Add milk mixture and beat till smooth.
7. Fold-in pecans with spatula.
8. Grease Bundt pan and dust with flour, tapping-out excess flour.
9. Pour batter into pan, levelling with spatula.
10. Place in oven, baking 45 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
11. Cool cake 20 minutes, using spatula around edges to loosen it from pan. Flip cake over onto a platter.
12. Cool 1 hour.
13. Prepare icing by mixing icing sugar, Bourbon and cream by hand. Icing shouldn’t be too thick nor too thin.
14. Use a spoon and drape icing over cake. Sprinkle toasted pecans over top of cake evenly.
15. Stand 1 hour before serving. Garnish hollow of cake with roses.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
View this post on Instagram