Curry Shrimp & Scallop Pie. I love pies and always have been terrified of making them because the crust is notoriously tricky. I finally nailed it thanks to an amazing pastry recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. If you’ve never used Crisco‘s Golden All-Vegetable Shortening, it’s a thing of wonder!
The trick to a perfect crust is to never over-handle the dough – handle minimally. This perfect crust combined with one of my favourite curries proved a real knockout. Hope you get to try this yourself. And don’t worry if you don’t know how to do a lattice crust, I didn’t either. Just Google. There are several helpful guides online. It was simple! This was a knockout! 🥊
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup Crisco Golden All-Vegetable Shortening, room temperature
1/2 cup cold water
Curry Shrimp and Scallop Filling:
2 lbs Tiger Prawn Shrimp, shells/tails removed and halved and brined in salt water
1 cup of Bay Scallops, brined in salt water
1/2 can of Coconut Milk
1 block of Glico Japanese Curry (medium)
2 small white potatoes, diced
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup of green peas
1 carrot diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 green chilli, seeds out and minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Sea salt to taste
1 egg, beaten
1. In large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Add-in butter and Crisco, using two forks criss-crossing mixture till it resembles small peas. Add-in 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, scraping mixture off each fork with the other, till it starts resembling dough.
2. Knead gently and sparingly on floured surface and roll into ball. Chill 2 hours, no more than 5 days.
3. Cut dough into halves. Take one-half and roll with a rolling pin on floured surface into a circle, enough to cover bottom of pie dish.
4. Transfer dough to pie dish and fit till covered. Prick with fork a few times. Refrigerate.
5. In large skillet, sautée garlic, chilli and onion in oil. Add-in potatoes, carrots, peas and corn. Add sea salt to taste. Cook 5 minutes on medium-heat.
6. Add-in coconut milk, Glico Curry and mix till dissolved.
7. Add 2-3 cups of water, a bit at a time, stirring till filling reaches a thick consistency for a pie filling.
8. Once mixture reaches boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Put aside.
9. Preheat oven at 425°F.
10. Remove other half of dough from refrigerator. Roll into a circle, enough to cover pie dish.
11. Using ruler and knife, cut dough into 12 even strips.
12. Add filling into pie dish, layering-in uncooked shrimps and scallops. Cover top with filling, careful not to overfill.
13. Cover top in lattice pattern.
14. Use fork, crimp edge of crust.
15. Brush crust with egg wash.
16. Bake 30 minutes. Cool for about 45 minutes before serving.
View this post on Instagram
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
For advertising opportunites please contact firstname.lastname@example.org