#COOKING: SXSE CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE
SXSE Curry Chicken. Everyone’s got their own recipe for this dish. Here’s mine, combining Garam Masala, native to South Indian cuisine x Yellow Curry, found in Southeast Asian cuisine. That being said, this is a mild Curry, but I do like to add a kick to it. This, plus an added twist of air-fried sweet potatoes to sop-up that delicious sauce. Coconut milk is a must as my mom taught me young!
3-4 large chicken legs with thighs, chopped into thirds
1 can coconut milk
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 large white onion, chopped into chunks
1 large carrot, chopped into chunks
2 1/2 tbsps Yellow Curry
2 1/2 tbsps Garam Masala
3 tbsps tapioca starch
1 tbsp Sambal Sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 bay leaves
1 tsp organic raw sugar
Sea salt and pepper
1. Season chicken in salt after cleaning. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Sautée garlic and onions till caramelized. Shift to side of skillet.
3. Brown chicken, cooking about 3 minutes on each side.
4. Add curry powder, coating chicken pieces entirely.
5. Add carrots, bay leaves, sugar and 1 cup water, bringing to boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
7. In large bowl, toss sweet potato chunks in salt and pepper. Drizzle some olive oil.
8. Preheat Air Fryer 3 minutes at 380°F. Cook potatoes in two batches, frying for 12 minutes, stirring once at half-way mark. Set aside once cooked.
9. Turn curry up to medium-high heat. Add coconut milk and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add sweet potatoes and reduce to low heat. This is a good chance to skim out that excess grease as this can get fatty.
10. In small bowl whisk tapioca starch with equal parts water to create a slurry. Pour into curry, stirring well till sauce thickens. You can prepare more slurry if you like it thicker. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and serve with warmed Naan. Pickled lime optional.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)