#COOKING: PEKING DUCK RECIPE
PekingDuck | 北京烤鴨. Reserved for celebrations, so Happy Mother’s Day, Moms! Made this for Mom last night, her fave! This dish traces back to the Imperial era. Roasted slices of duck skin on thin wraps, dressed with garnish. Adapted from New York Times, with some modifications. 💐
6 lb duck
2 tbsps 5 Spice Powder
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp organic raw sugar
3 tsps sea salt
4 tbsps soy sauce
Pepper, to taste
3 tbsps Hoisin Sauce
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1/4 carrot, thin slices
1 stalk green onion, thin slices
1/4 cucumber, thin slices
Happy Belly Peking Duck Wraps
1. Clean duck, remove giblets. Trim excess skin off tail/neck. Using knife, cut opening between skin and flesh of breast and back. Slide fingers through to opposite end, careful not to break skin.
2. Boil kettle of water. Carefully pour 1/2 of water onto each side of duck.
3. Pat dry with paper towels.
4. Mix 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp of 5 spice powder and pepper. Rub into cavity of duck.
5. Empty 1/3 of Tallboy beer can and prop inside cavity. Stand on roasting pan.
6. In saucepan, heat 2 tbsps soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp 5 Spice Powder, 3 tbsps honey and 1 tbsp sugar. Heat till sugar melts.
7. Brush sauce onto duck. Place duck in refrigerator uncovered 24 hours.
8. Preheat oven, 450°F.
9. Take foil and wrap tips of wings and legs to prevent burning. Add 1 1/2 cups water to pan.
10. Form loose foil tent over duck. Place on bottom rack of oven.
11. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F. Roast 1 hour.
12. In bowl, mix rest of honey, soy sauce and 5 Spice Powder.
13. Remove foil. Baste duck. Roast 10 minutes more.
14. Remove duck from oven. Brush soy mixture over duck. Separate drippings from pan, reserving 3 tbsps. Remove beer can from cavity. Place duck back onto pan, back facing up.
15. Set oven to high broil. Broil 5 minutes. Flip duck over, breast facing up. Broil another 5 minutes.
16. Remove from oven. Cool 20 minutes.
17. Carve skin in small sections, arranging in platter. Carve remainder of duck and serve on separate platter.
18. Warm wraps in steamer on low heat.
19. Serve duck skin on wrappers with dollop of Hoisin Sauce mixture and garnishes. Makes 12.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)