#COOKING: TARO-COCONUT CHICKEN RECIPE
Coconut-Taro Chicken. Pure decadence, this comforting dish is rich and creamy. The marriage of Taro (a versatile sweet, starchy potato), and Coconut is a union that came long before Bubble Tea and is just as perfect savoury. This one is dedicated to our friends at Taro PR!
2 lbs chicken drumsticks, chopped into thirds and de-boned if you like
1 block of Taro, 1/2″ thick slices, then divided into quarters
1 small purple onion, sliced thin
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsps white or cooking wine
4 tbsps soy sauce
3 tbsps tapioca/corn starch
1 tbsp organic raw sugar
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Coriander, to garnish
1. Marinate chicken with wine, 1 tbsp soy sauce and sugar in large bowl, careful to rid of bone shards. Keep in fridge minimum 2 hours.
2. Heat Canola oil in large skillet till hot on medium-high. Fry taro in batches, 3-4 minutes each side till golden. Place on dish lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Set aside.
3. Leave about 2 tbsps oil in the skillet and set remainder aside.
4. Sautée garlic and onions till almost caramelized and brown the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add 3 tbsps soy sauce and stir evenly.
6. Add coconut milk, broth, 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer on low, covered 15 minutes.
7. Add Taro, stir evenly and simmer another 15 minutes.
8. In small bowl, mix starch with equal parts water and stir into skillet, thickening sauce.
9. Transfer to a clay pot and broil 7-10 minutes till top has a bit of charring. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice. You’ll want seconds, potentially thirds so make extra rice!
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)