#COOKING: AIR FRYER TURON RECIPE
Air Fryer Turon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Filipino Cuisine, it honestly is so satisfying! One of my favourite things is Turon and it’s been so long since I’ve had it. It’s basically a sweet, caramelized egg roll with banana/plantain stuffed inside. So delicious. I was watching SELENA + CHEF and it was so cool seeing Toronto-born, New York-based Chef Jordan Andino guest star on the show, showing us how to make some traditional favourites. I love that his take on Turon has Jackfruit, a stinky, albeit delicious and underappreciated fruit. If you can find it fresh, use fresh, if not, no shame in canned. I’ve played around with this and adapted it for the Air Fryer, cutting sweetness and grease, but still enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.
8 Egg Roll Wrappers
1 ripe Plantain (should have black markings on skin), cut into four pieces and then divided into thirds
4 pieces of fresh Jackfruit, sliced into strips
1/4 cup light brown sugar
4 tbsps melted unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1. Lay Egg Roll Wrapper on cutting board.
2. Arrange 3 strips of plantain and 2 jackfruit on wrap.
3. Sprinkle a bit brown sugar over plantain and jackfruit.
4. Fold bottom of wrap up, just to cover the fruit. then fold-up left and right sides. Dip finger in beaten egg wash and rub onto top strip of Egg Roll Wrapper. Fold over once more and seal gently.
5. Arrange Turon
onto a platter.
6. Pre-heat Air Fryer at 375°F.
7. Brush melted butter allover the Turon
. Sprinkle a bit more brown sugar.
8. Fry in two batches, four each for about 7 minutes. Flip Turon once half-way through.
9. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before eating.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)