#COOKING: OXTAIL WITH RICE & PEAS RECIPE
Oxtail with Rice & Peas. One of the greatest things about growing-up in Toronto is the vast array of diverse cuisines we have at our convenience. I am a huge fan of Caribbean cuisine, and while I’ve been a Chicken Roti and Jerk Chicken connoisseur my whole life, Oxtail of late has surged to the front as my new favourite. I thought I’d give it a go and while it takes a while to prepare, that little bit of extra love is worth it. Time to break-out the Slow Cooker! Gravy on rice makes everything nice!
2 lbs Oxtail, rinsed and pat dry
1 can Butter/Lima Beans, drained
1 cup (or more) beef stock
1 white onion, chopped
3 stalks green onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, seeded and minced
1 cup mini carrots
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsps garlic powder
2 tbsps Maggi Sauce
1 tsp celery salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Allspice
3-4 sprigs of thyme
4 tbsps tapioca/corn starch
Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Marinate oxtail pieces in soy sauce, Maggi, Worcestershire, garlic powder, allspice, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
2. With Slow Cooker on high, sautee garlic and onions in olive oil.
3. In skillet or Air Fryer, brown oxtail on medium-high heat or 390°F on Air Fryer. Do not overcook. Once seared on both sides for a few minutes, remove from heat.
4. Add oxtail to Slow Cooker and pour-in remaining marinade. Add thyme, stock, carrots and pepper. You want liquid almost covering oxtail.
5. Slow cook covered 7 hours on low heat.
6. Remove oxtail pieces from Slow Cooker, fishing-out thyme. Add-in Butter Beans.
7. In small bowl, take equal parts tapioca/corn starch and water and form a slurry. Beat till smooth with a fork. Pour into Slow Cooker mixture and stir till sauce thickens.
8. Add back Oxtail and stir gently. Cover and cook for one more hour on low heat before serving. Start preparing Rice & Peas.
Rice & Peas
2 cups long-rain white rice, rinsed
1 cup red kidney beans, drained
1/2 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup beef stock
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
2 sprigs of thyme
1 Scotch Bonnet
Pepper, seeded and minced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in rice cooker.
2. Once cooked fully, fluff with fork and serve with Oxtail.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)