#COOKING: WHITE BREAD RECIPE
White Bread. To be honest Sourdough is okay, but nothing beats versatile, fluffy white bread. This is the second time in-a-row I’ve been able to get my dough to rise so I know it’s not a fluke! The trickiest part is ensuring the yeast is activated in lukewarm, not warm water and adding sugar. And the temperature at which you proof cannot be too hot. I’ll share a couple of my tips to making that perfect loaf! 🍞
5 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
3 tablespoons organic raw sugar
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
1. Mix flour, salt and butter in mixing bowl. Use two forks criss-crossing to cut butter in.
2. In bowl, mix 3/4 cup lukewarm water (not warm or hot) with yeast and sugar till dissolved and filmy. Let stand a few minutes.
3. Mix yeast water into flour bit by bit, using forks. Pour another 1 1/3 cup lukewarm water, forming dough.
4. Turn dough onto flat, floured surface. Sprinkle with flour till dough no longer is sticky, kneading 10 minutes. Dough should be punchy and elastic.
5. Grease large bowl and transfer dough into it. Cover with damp cloth and place in oven on top rack with a pot of hot water on the rack below. Shut oven. Replace hot water again in 30 minutes. This provides a perfect environment for your dough to rise. Be careful!
6. Dough will have doubled in size by one hour if proofed right. If not, your water might have been too hot when activating or something is up with your yeast. Transfer back to floured surface and knead 5 minutes, releasing air pockets.
7. Grease loaf pan and fit dough into it. Proof again for 45 minutes to 1 hour covered, with pot of hot water underneath in oven. Dough will have doubled again in size. Remove from oven.
8. Preheat oven at 400°F. Brush top of loaf with egg wash using fingers or a brush.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes or till golden brown. Rotate pan once, half-way through. Allow to cool 15 minutes in pan and transfer to cooling rack to avoid bottom getting soggy. This freezes well.
(Photo/video credit: Mr. Will Wong)
View this post on Instagram