#COOKING: BLUEBERRY-PEACH PIE RECIPE
Blueberry-Peach Pie. A recipe for the scorching heat we’re experiencing! Nothing says Summer like these flavours. Topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, this is heaven! The crust is no fuss, just follow the steps! 🍑
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps sea salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup Crisco Golden All-Vegetable Shortening, room temperature
1/2 cup cold water
5 peaches, skinned, pitted and sliced
2 small packs of blueberries
6 tbsps flour
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp organic raw sugar (or more if you like!)
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg beaten, used as egg wash
1. Prepare pastry, combining ingredients, adding water 1 tbsp at a time, handling minimally. Knead dough gently on floured surface. Roll into ball. Chill minimum 2 hours, no more than 5 days.
2. Prep filling. Mix flour, sugar and spices. Add peaches and blueberries, mixing gently. Let stand half an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Cut dough into halves. Shape into discs. Roll first half starting from center-outwards onto floured surface.
5. Fit dough into pie dish, covering edges. Prick bottom with fork a few times. Scoop filling into shell. Cut-in bits of butter into filling. Chill 15-20 minutes.
6. Take other half of dough and form circle large enough to cover top of pie dish, rolling center-outwards on floured surface. Use ruler and cut 10-12 equal size strips.
7. Layer strips, forming lattice over top of pie, sealing edges tight.
8. Brush top of lattice using egg wash using brush or finger. Mix tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and dust over lattice.
9. Place pie dish on baking sheet. Use foil and form a ring around edge of crust.
10. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F with pie in oven and bake another 30-35 minutes till golden. 10 minutes before finished, carefully remove foil ring.
11. Cool minimum 3 hours. Serve with ice cream.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)