#COOKING: MARYLAND CRAB CAKES RECIPE
Maryland Crab Cakes. In celebration of what would’ve been the second leg of the American Triple Crown today, the Preakness Stakes, we salute resilience with this dish, which is the pride of Maryland! The race this year will be contested at Pimlico Race Course 10.3.20. We eagerly await as our favourite sport begins surfacing once again across North America! These are divine – crispy exterior, flaky, tangy interior with pronounced notes of mustard and celery. 🦀
1 lb crab meat/3 cans of Clover Leaf Crab Meat
3 tbsps mayonnaise
1/4 cup celery, diced thinly
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsps fresh parsley/cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 tbsps Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Sea salt and pepper
1. In large bowl, mix all ingredients, adding crab last. If using fresh crab, ensure there are no shards of claws and shells. If using canned crab, ensure you drain and pat dry with paper towels. As often, canned crab is salted, account for less salt in your recipe.
2. Form mixture into six even patties and place on parchment paper-lined tray. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, covered.
3. Heat canola oil in large skillet till hot, medium-high heat. Fry crab cakes on each side about 4-5 minutes or till golden brown.
4. Transfer to platter lined with paper towels to absorb oil.
5. Arrange on clean platter. Garnish with parsley/cilantro and serve with Tartar Sauce and a lemon wedge.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)