#RECIPE: PERIWINKLES IN BLACK BEAN-CHILLI SAUCE RECIPE
Fried Periwinkles in Black Bean-Chilli Sauce. Periwinkles are a river snail, hence if you love mussels or clams, these will be up your alley! It’s best to pluck the flesh out with a toothpick but so worth the work!
2 lbs Periwinkles, cleaned
2 tbsps Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Garlic Sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red chillies, seeded and minced
2 shallots, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsps tapioca starch
1/4 cup chicken stock/water
2 tbsps white/cooking wine
1 tsp organic raw sugar
1 stalk green onion, minced
1/2 sweet yellow pepper, cut into chunks
1 tbsp sesame oil
Black pepper to taste
Coriander, chopped for garnish
1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
2. Sautée garlic, peppers, chilli, shallots, green onion (reserving some aside) and ginger till caramelized. Add black bean sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Turn heat to high and add Periwinkles and wine. Cover lid.
4. In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sugar and equal parts water.
5. Uncover lid after four to five minutes, add stock/water and stir soy and starch paste into liquid till sauce thickens. Add sesame oil and pepper.
6. Stir evenly. Transfer to platter and garnish with green onion and coriander. Serve with rice.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)