Meatballs x Pasta. Fall means comfort foods and our favourite always has been Spaghetti & Meatballs. Of course now that we’ve grown-up we’ve found little ways to elevate and make it a bit more sophisticated. We hope you like our take!
17.6 oz Alfetra Pasta (i.e. Vesuvio) 1/2 lb medium ground beef (or lean if you prefer, medium makes for more tender results) 1/2 lb ground pork 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs 1 can crushed tomatoes 1 can tomato paste 1/2 cup whole milk 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese 3 tbsps unsalted butter 4 slices of Mozzarella/Havarti Cheese, sliced into small squares 1 egg 1 red pepper, seeded and diced 1 white onion, minced 8 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 cup chopped Parsley 1/4 cup chopped Basil 4 Bay Leaves 4-5 Anchovies in oil 2 tbsps organic raw sugar 2 tbsps Truffle Oil Sea salt and Pepper, to taste
1. In large bowl, use hands to mix ground beef and pork, egg, half of onion, parsley, basil and garlic, Panko, milk, Parmesan, 1 tbs of truffle oil, salt and pepper. Roll into about 20 meatballs, stuffing each with a bit of cheese slices.
2. Cook in Air Fryer at 400F for about 9 minutes, dividing meatballs in two batches. Transfer to platter.
3. Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Reserve a few ladles of the water for later. Strain pasta.
4. In large sauce pan, sautee on medium-high heat the remaining garlic, onions and red pepper, in 1 tbsp truffle oil.
5. Add tomatoes and paste and about 1/3 cup of water. Bring to boil.
6. Add bay leaves, anchovies, sugar and remainder of parsley and basil.
7. Add in meatballs, season sauce with salt and pepper and reduce to simmer. Cook for minimum two hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.
8. When ready to plate, take a large skillet and on medium heat, melt butter. Toss-in pasta and season with a bit more salt. Pour-in a couple ladles of reserved pasta water and add a bit of chopped basil, stirring gently.
9. Pour a couple ladles of sauce from the meatball mixture into the pasta, again stirring gently. Remove from heat.
10. Plate pasta. Spoon meatballs and sauce on-top of pasta. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.