Lamingtons. We’ve always wanted to visit Australia and maybe one day post-Covid we finally will! This chocolate-dipped butter cake, sometimes filled with raspberries and raspberry jam is an Australian favourite. Australia Day is January 26, 2021! Happy Australia Day! 🇦🇺
Note these are extremely sweet and I have adapted the recipe to my tastes. You can increase the sugar in the cake and icing if you wish.
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup organic raw sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps organic vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup raspberries
Dessicated coconut, unsweetened
3 1/4 cups icing sugar
200 grams dark chocolate
1/2 cup or more whole milk
1 tbsp butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. In large bowl, cream eggs, butter and sugar.
3. Mix-in flour, starch, baking powder and salt with handmixer.
4. Mix-in vanilla and milk. Beat till mixture is light yellow and smooth.
5. Line rectangular baking pan with wax paper and fill with batter.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool 10 minutes, then flip cake over on cooling rack. This will flatten the bottom so the cake is even.
8. Cool at least 2 hours, room temperature.
9. Cut cake in half along the middle. Spread jam and raspberries over the center with spatula and re-assemble cake.
10. Cut into even squares, place in container and freeze overnight.
11. The next day, in double boiler on low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring frequently. Add milk, stirring often till smooth and then add icing sugar. Mix till smooth and consistency is thin, yet thick enough to coat cake. If it gets too thick, add a little bit more milk and stir till smooth.
12. Using two forks, dip cake squares into chocolate till coated.
13. With coconut ready in a shallow tray or plate, dip coated cake squares in coconut till covered. Quickly transfer to a platter to cool. Repeat till all cake squares are coated.
14. Once chocolate has set, transfer to air-tight container. You can freeze if not eating right away.
15. Let Lamingtons sit at room temperature for about 30-40 minutes before serving.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)