#COOKING: CREAMY SEAFOOD BAKE
Creamy Seafood Bake. We’re still of the firm belief that cheese and seafood go well together. Something hearty, flavourful at every bite and decadent for this cold winter weather.
2 lbs Manila Clams
, cut into chunks
1/2 450g package of Capellini
3 cups Baby Spinach
3/4 cup 18% cream
3/4 cup Mozzarella and Cheddar, shredded
1/4 cup white wine
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsps butter
2 strips bacon, chopped
2 tbsps flour
1 stalk green onion, minced
1 tbsp White Truffle Oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Prepare pasta till al dente
and strain. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
3. In large skillet, sautée bacon, garlic and green onions in butter.
4. Add cream and reduce heat to medium-low to a simmer, stir-in spinach.
5. Once spinach has wilted, add Tilapia
and clams. Cover lid and cook about 5-6 minutes or till clam shells open. Do not overcook.
6. Stir-in salt, pepper, wine and truffle oil. Turn off heat.
7. Place pasta in baking dish. Spoon seafood and sauce over top of pasta.
8. Sprinkle cheeses on-top and garnish with Cilantro.
9. Turn oven to broil mode, broiling for 5-6 minutes or till top of mixture is golden.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
#COOKING: COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE
Coconut Cream Pie. This is a classic and it has been so liberating knowing now that making a pie crust isn’t so terrifying after all! Give this pie a little overnight patience. It is so worth it. Do be careful when baking this crust on its own, you need to weigh it down to prevent shrinkage.
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled
1/3 cup + 2 tbsps Crisco Golden All-Vegetable Shortening
1/4 cup cold water
1 can coconut milk
1 cup half and half cream
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup organic raw sugar
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbsps unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsps coconut extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup whipping cream
3 tbsps icing sugar
1 tbsp coconut extract
2 tbsps shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
1. Prepare pastry, combining ingredients, adding water 1 tbsp at a time, handling minimally. Knead dough gently on floured surface. Roll into ball. Chill minimum 2 hours, no more than 5 days.
2. Roll dough out and fit into pie pan. Chill another 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Place a small oven-safe plate stacked with small oven-safe bowl of water to weigh-down crust to prevent from shrinking.
5. Bake about 25 minutes or till golden brown.
6. Chill in refrigerator covered.
7. In bowl, mix yolks and corn starch.
8. On stove top with medium heat, melt butter, sugar, salt, cream and coconut milk, stirring frequently till it reaches boil.
9. Pour half of milk mixture into egg mixture and mix vigorously.
10. Pour mixture back into sauce pan with milk mixture. Stir till smooth as mixture will thicken fast. Remove from heat.
11. Mix-in butter, coconut and extracts.
12. Pour into pie crust and cover with Saran Wrap
. It’s okay to have wrap touching filling. Chill overnight.
13. In large bowl, beat whipping cream with handmixer. Once stiff peaks form, use spatula to mix-in icing sugar and coconut extract.
14. Toast 2 tbsps coconut flakes, careful not to burn.
15. Pipe whipped cream onto pie. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and serve.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)