#COOKING: GENERAL TAO BROCCOLI RECIPE
General Tao Broccoli. You’ve all had this classic with chicken, but who knew it could be replicated so well and done vegan? This is so hearty it serves as a main with a side of rice. We’ve been seeing this pop-up on Instagram often of late and thought we’d give it a go. Loved it! 🥦
1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 cup corn starch
1/2 cup Aquafaba (Chick Pea liquid)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsps rice vinegar
1 tbsp Gochujang (Korean Pepper Paste)
3 tbsps organic raw sugar
3 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsps maple syrup
1-2 tbsps corn or tapioca starch
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 green chillies, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk green onion, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
Parsley, chopped for garnish
1. Heat oil large skillet/wok on medium-high heat till hot.
2. In shallow platter, mix 1 cup corn starch, 1 tbsp soy sauce, salt, baking powder and soda.
3. Dip florets into Aquafaba
, then starch mixture and into hot oil.
4. Fry about 3-4 minutes each side or till golden brown.
5. Place on platter lined with paper towels to absorb oil.
6. In clean skillet/wok, heat oil on medium-high heat.
ginger, garlic, chillies, and green onion for 1-2 minutes.
8. In small bowl, prep sauce by mixing Gochujang
, soy sauce, sugar, syrup, vinegar and starch. Add about 2-3 tbsps of water and mix well. Pour into skillet and stir well.
9. Once sauce thickens, toss-in broccoli and stir gently till coated in sauce.
10. Transfer to platter, garnish with parsley and serve.
(Photo/video credit: Mr. Will Wong)