#COOKING: BANANA UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
Banana Upside-Down Cake. My friend Michelle sent this one over, so I know this one is good. This Recipe was created by Jessie Sheehan and we made a few adaptations to it. It’s basically an Pineapple-Upside Down Cake (see our Pineapple-Upside Down Cheesecake) but made with Bananas and even more caramel on-top.
2-3 large bananas, sliced length-wise
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 cup organic raw sugar (or more)
1/4 cup almond slivers, toasted and crushed
1 egg yolk
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare topping. In large skillet, melt butter, stir-in salt and sugar till dissolved.
3. Transfer mixture into cake pan (spring-form, if you have). Arrange banana slices on-top and press-in.
4. Prepare cake. In large bowl, cream sugar and vanilla with handmixer. Add eggs.
5. In separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder.
6. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients with handmixer. Fold-in almonds.
7. Pour batter over bananas in cake pan. Bake 35-40 minutes till center comes out clean with toothpick.
8. Cool five minutes and flip cake over.
9. Allow to cool 1-2 hours before serving. Store in air-tight container for up to a couple days or freeze. Serve warmed with whipped cream.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)