#COOKING: CLASSIC APPLE PIE RECIPE
Classic Apple Pie. As you might recall we went Apple Picking last week. What better way to celebrate the fruits (pardon the pun) of our labour than our Classic Apple Pie recipe? A flaky, buttery crust with chunky, tart and sweet Ontario apples in a goopy caramel-like filling. Autumn’s arrived. 🍎
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps sea salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup Crisco Golden All-Vegetable Shortening, room temperature
1/2 cup cold water
1 egg beaten, used as egg wash
8 apples (we mixed McIntosh, Sweet 16 and Royal Gala), cored, peeled and cut into chunks and sprinkled with 1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup water
3 tbsps flour
1/4 cup organic raw sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsps cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1. Prepare pastry, combining ingredients, adding water 1 tbsp at a time, handling minimally. Knead dough gently on floured surface. Roll into ball. Chill minimum 2 hours, no more than 5 days.
2. Prep filling. In saucepan, bring butter, 1/2 cup water and sugars to boil. In separate bowl, beat flour with 3 tbsps water to form a slurry. Whisk this quickly into the water/sugar mixture till thick. Remove from heat. Run through sieve if lumpy. Transfer to a bowl and mix-in cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F.
4. Cut dough into halves. Shape into discs. Roll first half starting from center-outwards onto floured surface.
5. Fit dough into pie dish, covering edges. Fill shell with apple chunks and then pour sauce over top, covering evenly.
6. Take other half of dough and form circle large enough to cover top of pie dish, rolling center-outwards on floured surface. Use ruler and cut 10-12 equal size strips.
7. Layer strips, forming lattice over top of pie, sealing edges tight, pressing down with a fork.
8. Brush top of lattice using egg wash using brush or finger.
9. Place pie dish on baking sheet. Use foil and form a ring around edge of crust.
10. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F with pie in oven and bake another 35-40 minutes till golden. 10 minutes before finished, carefully remove foil ring.
11. Cool minimum 3 hours. Serve with ice cream.
(Photo/video credit: Mr. Will Wong)