The Movie which brought Ryan & Eva together. After premiering at TIFF last September to positive Reviews, finally The Place Beyond the Pines sees a release later this month. Reuniting Director/Writer Derek Cianfrance together with Ryan Gosling after their fantastic Collaboration, Blue Valentine, the Drama is about a Stunt Driver (Gosling) who provides for his unborn Child and Lover (Eva Mendes) by robbing banks. A Rookie Cop (Bradley Cooper) however is onto him, he himself dealing with internal issues in reporting to a corrupt Detective (Ray Liotta). Think Drive, but with a Motorbike, a Baby and Corruption! LOL
Regardless, the Film looks amazing and despite it being early still, the Critics of Rotten Tomatoes have pegged it at 92% on their Tomatometer.
Watch the Trailer in full below:
Of course, I’ve met some of the amazing Cast of The Place Beyond the Pines over the years and it’s always seeing a Film blossom after it premieres at TIFF!
Rolling Stone Magazine got the exclusive Behind-the-Scenes with some amazing Photos during filming in Schenectady. Click here for more!
eOne Films releases The Place Beyond the Pines on April 12, 2013.
First making his debut in 1981 on TV Series Simon & Simon, Giovanni Ribisi has become a Household Name with an Acting Career which has seen both diversity and longevity. At just 38-years-old, the Los Angeles Native has built a Body of Work which has defined multiple generations. My Two Dads, The Wonder Years, Friends, Saving Private Ryan, Lost in Translation, Avatar, Ted. These are just a handful of his most memorable moments and the Father of Lucia/Husband of Supermodel Agyness Deyn finds himself returning to Toronto once again to promote eagerly-awaited Gangster Squad.
The Action/Drama has Ribisi starring as Officer Conway Keller, a technically-savvy Cop whose expertise enables the LAPD to successfully bug the Phone Calls of top Mobster Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn), who controlled much of Los Angeles in the late ’40s through early ’50s. The Team responsible for the fire-with-fire Takedown – The Gangster Squad – are played by Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Anthony Mackie, Michael Peña, Robert Patrick and Ribisi.
The road to release hasn’t been an easy one at all for Warner Bros. Tragedy struck on July 20, 2012 as the Aurora, Colorado Mass Shootings had taken place during a screening of their Marquee release, The Dark Knight Rises. Furthermore, the Trailer for Gangster Squad was slated to run prior to that Film, depicting a gratuitously violent Grauman’s Chinese Theatre Shootout. Understandably, the Scene had been deleted out of respect to the current Social Climate and all those affected by the Tragedy. Re-shoots were completed and now the Film is ready for its big debut, but one glaring question still remains.
One Journalist asks the Question on all of our minds – whether or not it is appropriate to release the gratuitously gun-violent Gangster Squad, considering that another Mass Shooting has since taken place in Newton, Connecticut? Ribisi tells a tightly-gathered group of Journalists at his Toronto Hotel, “There are some heinous crimes which have taken place”. He pauses and says, “I don’t think it’s fair to hold Hollywood accountable for this.”. On whether or not he feels the Final Product was affected adversely by Reshoots and the deletion of the mentioned Scene, he says with unwavering certainty, “It is an even better Film”.
I asked Ribisi about preparing for the role of Officer Conway Keller, and although he was diligent about placing himself in the mindset of the day including Chats with a 90-year-old Expert on Bugging, he insists most of his focus was poured into getting the Dynamic right with his fellow Gangster Squad mates. He tells me, “It all began in a conversation with Director Ruben Fleischer in the beginning about Conway being the role of the Conscience and also talking about the broader picture of Values in Society, especially in contrast to today’s day and age.”. “Of course you get into the History, you read Books about the context of Los Angeles around World War II and The Great Depression, which is so interesting”, he recalls. “The most important part though, was that Dynamic in Conway‘s Relationship with the rest of the Guys and what they ultimately wanted to do.”.
Despite working together with an interesting mix of Personalities on Gangster Squad, including Brolin who is known for being a Prankster on-set, the Actor remembers, “We were in an Environment where we really wanted to do our best” – meaning little time for play. As an interesting tidbit, this in fact is his fourth time he stars in a Film alongside Brolin. “He is a good Person and has a great Sense of Humour though”, Ribisi praises. Also we learned, he also spent a fair amount of time obsessing about whether or not scenes really were working, revealing “I mean you have the Actors, so the Talent definitely was there… we had Sexy Beast Ryan Gosling!”, he adds jokingly. “Wait, did I really just say that? What is he going to think?”.
On his favourite part about making Gangster Squad, he admits that it was all about the Cars and Clothing. “People used to get dressed. They really presented themselves to the World. I guess it was A Streetcar Named Desire where they saw Marlon Brando in a T-Shirt and then T-Shirts became prominent, but before that People wore ties and hats”, he reflects. “And then there were the Cars. The 1947 Chrysler Studebaker I drove, and of course the Night Club Slapsy Maxie‘s. You walked in and saw everyone dressed to the nines… it was just amazing!”.
We’ve all seen Ribisi grow-up throughout the years, transitioning from Child Actor, now to playing Father-type Roles. Need I remind you of his unforgettable work as a Teddy Bear-obsessed Father dancing to Tiffany in 2012 Box Office Smash Ted? I ask him about his key to success in surviving the Industry. He replies, “I’ve never really thought about myself in those terms to be honest. I mean, that also poses the question, “What defines success?”. He adds, “But if you ask me, I haven’t accomplished my best yet.”.
Following our Chat, Ribisi posed for a few Photos, before heading back to his Suite to freshen-up for the second-half of his busy Press Day. Although he had pondered a popular Hotspot at his Hotel, it was his loyalties to a certain Restaurant he loved last time he visited in the trendy west-end of the City determining his Dinner Plans.
Warner Bros. releases Gangster Squad on Friday, November 11, 2013.
To enter to win a Gangster Squad Prize Pack, which includes a size Large T-Shirt and two Shot Glasses, simply click “like” on this Post at Mr. Will Wong on Facebook. You should also be following on Twitter! Canadian Readers are welcome to enter. Your deadline is February 1, 2013.
Mob King Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) has Los Angeles at the palm of his hands in the the mid-’40s: the Police, Politicians, Prostitutes and Pimps. What he doesn’t know though is that a secret group of LAPD Outsiders headed by Sargeant John O’Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling) are hot on his heels and eager to keep the East Coast Mafia out of the City of Angels. The stakes are upped as Jerry becomes involved with Mickey‘s choice Companion in Grace Faraday (Emma Stone).
Directed by Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland), we’ve all been awaiting the arrival of real life-inspired Gangster Squad for quite some time now and its release is just-over a week away. As an interesting tidbit, Screenwriter Will Beall actually just five years ago was working for the LAPD as a Homocide Detective, landing at number seven on 2009’s Black List, honouring the Industry’s best un-produced Screenplays.
If this weren’t exciting enough, Giovanni Ribisi who stars as the technically-inclined Officer Conway Keeler, will be in the City next week to promote the Film!
Watch the Trailer in full below:
So ready for this already.
Warner Bros. releases Gangster Squad on January 11, 2013.
TIFF 2012 was another great Festival. The fact that Toronto plays Host to such a prestigious and glamorous event is a true testament to the level of respect the Film Industry has for our City. I am so proud to be a Torontonian and proud of my fellow Torontonians who made it all happen, from the Hot Dog Vendors who fed those of us with no time for a sit-down meal, to the Celebrity Drivers and Security Guards for keeping everyone out of harm’s way.
This year I met many Stars and my only regret is not being able to be at two places at once with the opening weekend crammed with Stars. Although this is nothing new for the Festival, let’s just say I never want to be faced with having to decide between Johnny Depp versus Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence versus Emma Watson, Tom Hanks versus Jackie Chan versus Will Smith ever again! Whomever schedules the times and locations of these Premieres certainly wasn’t a Star Spotter, that much I can say. Nightmare.
Ask Hanks, who called-out the Festival Organizers at the Press Conference for Cloud Atlas, asking: “Why do you run your celebrities through a pin like we’re bulls on the way to slaughter? It’s the narrowest kind of like entrance to a theater I’ve ever had.”. So believe me, it’s not just the Fans who are complaining – the Celebrities also have thoughts on the matter.
Thank you for being there along the way with me, tuning-in on CP24 and CTV News and reading my Posts as I dozed off on my keyboard fighting to finish that one more Blog Post at 5:00 AM. I can now look forward to catching-up on sleep once again, spotting Stars in the City at a far more reasonable pace and being Billy‘s Dad again. Oh, how I’ve missed that little Guy. And oh, how I know come January (when the Stars are sparse in the City) that I’ll be wishing it was September again!
Until next year…
List of Celebrities: Vanessa Hudgens, John Krasinski, Flava Flav, Ashley Benson, Kevin Zegers, Karl Urban, Alice Englert, Derek Cianfrance, Stephen Fung, Ben Mendelsohn, Dane DeHaan, Lana Wachowski, Doona Bae, Ben Whishaw, Glen Powell, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Liana Liberato, Jessica Mauboy, June Diane Raphael, Trudie Styler, Mickey Sumner, Kristen Wiig, Sam Taylor-Wood, Aaron Johnson, Eva Mendes, Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks, Kevin James, Adam Sandler, Fran Drescher, Molly Shannon, Tate Donovan, Ben Affleck, Coco, Ice-T, Amy Adams, Gina Torres, Zoe Kazan, Paul Dano, Frank Grillo, Billy Bob Thornton, Michael Shannon, Viggo Mortensen, Gael Garcia Bernal, Kristin Scott Thomas, Jason Bateman, Paula Patton, Marisa Tomei, Julie Benz, Lorenza Izzo, Jacqueline MacInnes-Wood, Patrick J. Adams & Tatyana Ali, Gregory Smith, Penelope Mitchell, Abbie Cornish, Logan Lerman, Toby Irvine, Jeremy Irvine, Emile Hirsch, Chris O’Dowd, Lee Daniels, Kiowa Gordon, Alessandro Nivola, Zac Efron, Octavia Spencer and Shannon Leto.
1. Bruce Willis actually signing an Autograph for once – Press Conference for Looper. Believe me, he rarely does it! His younger Co-Star Joseph Gordon-Levitt certainly could learn a lesson or two from that, getting booed after turning-down Fans yet again.
2. Vanessa Hudgens & Austin Butler arriving in Toronto together for Spring Breakers.
3. Kristen Stewart at the On the Road Premiere. Smiling! A great regret of mine for not bothering to queue toe Red Carpet for her as she was extremely generous with Fans that day.
4. Garrett Hedlund is a star on the rise; he is seen here at On the Road Premiere.
5. Karl Urban at the Premiere for Dredd 3-D. Is he perhaps Action Cinema’s most underrated Actor?
6. Joss Whedon walking to TIFF Bell Lightbox for some Photos. Several Fanboys and Fangirls got their biggest wish come true meeting the Director as he walked to and from Ritz-Carlton Hotel.
7. Lana Wachowski debuts herself as a Woman at the Cloud Atlas Press Conference. Yes, you know who she is. Think: The Matrix.
8. Jennifer Lawrence at the Press Conference for Silver Linings Playbook. Easily the Festival’s biggest “It Girl”. Few got their Photos with her, but The Hunger Games Star did her best to sign every Autograph she could.
9. Tom Hanks at Cloud Atlas Press Conference. That is all.
10. Halle Berry being gracious to Fans working her way into ever corner of the queue, signing Autographs at Cloud Atlas Press Conference. I am floored by her beauty and kindness.
11. John Hawkes at the Premiere for The Sessions, for which he is gaining a tremendous amount of Oscar buzz with. He declined me a Photo but still was nice about it, as he was rushed off into his vehicle.
12. Patrick Schwarzenegger at the Premiere for his first Film, The Writers. Yes, I met a Schwarzenegger!! Was Arnold even this handsome at his age?
13. Lily Collins at the Premiere for The Writers. Love her Balmain Dress; favourite Dress at TIFF 2012 – no doubt.
14. Pierce Brosnan at the Premiere for Love Is All You Need. As classy and kind as you’d imagine.
15. Kristen Wiig at the Premiere for Imogene. Incredibly gracious on the Carpet, but don’t bug her when she’s not working. My #1 Person to Meet at TIFF 2012 and it happened! And it was epic! Hilarious seeing myself shouting for her on the Carpet later that day on the news!!
16. Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling together in one Photo. How can one .jpg contain that much hotness? Photo taken at Party for The Place Beyond the Pines where Gosling was spotted bringing his Mom, Donna. Aww!
17. Eva Mendes at the Party for The Place Beyond the Pines. Whatever Ryan Gosling has done to her, she needs to keep doing as she was in great spirits that night. Mendes was incredibly friendly to Fans this year and she has never looked more glamorous doing it. I want to squeal every time I look at my Photo with her.
18. Elle Fanning at the Premiere for Ginger & Rosa. Stunning and sweet young Lady who happens to be the little Sister of Dakota. She is said to have been v. emotional after seeing Film for the first time and apparently cried on-stage during the Q&A.
19. Christina Hendricks at the Premiere for Ginger & Rosa. Stunning. Just absolutely stunning. The Mad Men Star declined Photos that night, but after a bit of persistence she did it and I will never forget! Thanks to Friend and Reader Laura for snapping this!
20. Adam Sandler at the Press Conference for Hotel Transylvania being awesome with Fans surprisingly. You just can never tell with Comedians. He’s always been a favourite of mine and I’d never have guessed I’d have gotten a Photo with him!
21. Selena Gomez at the Press Conference for Hotel Transylvania. I have never heard so much shrieking. Ever.
22. Ben Affleck at the Press Conference for Argo, which although got mixed reviews at Venice Film Festival, was loved by many in Toronto. A great Guy who is equally talented as a Director as he is an Actor and wonderful to his Fans. He definitely is one of my greatest highlights of TIFF 2012.
23. Bryan Cranston at the Press Conference for Argo. A true Gentleman who hopefully will come back to film in Toronto again and be welcomed with open arms as he’s just an amazing Guy!
24. Darren Criss at a Photo Call for Imogene. Some Glee Fans had great experiences with him, some not so much especially after arriving so late to the Premiere for the Film that he had little time for Fans.
25. Paul Thomas Anderson at the Press Conference for The Master – the one Film which already is being touted as a clear favourite to win Best Picture this year.
26. Amy Adams at the Press Conference for The Master. They don’t come much nicer than her. One of my fondest memories of TIFF 2012 was meeting her. One of America’s greatest Actresses and believe me, I’ve waited year after year for her to come.
27. Ziyi Zhang at the Roy Thomson Hall Premiere for Dangerous Liaisons. Absolute perfection.
28. Michael Shannon at the Press Conference for The Iceman; a bona fide Actor’s Actor on the verge of an Oscar whether it be this year or another year. Incredibly humble and generous with Fans, taking the time to fulfill every request thrown his way that day.
29. Kristin Scott Thomas leaving her Hotel after promoting No. Brilliant Actress, who is every bit as classy and kind as you’d imagine. Will she ever age?!
30. Marisa Tomei at Red Carpet for Inescapable at Roy Thomson Hall. Tomei was in great spirits at the Carpet, signing many Autographs and believe it or not, doing some Photos with Fans. I even got one (minus the fact that she moved quickly after posing!). A rarity for the Oscar-winning Actress!
31. Octavia Spencer at Red Carpet for Smashed. Charismatic Actress who although vocal with Fans and generous with Autographs at Ryerson Theatre, was photo-shy, declining Photos with Fans leaving them disappointed as she entered the venue.
32. Aaron Johnson at Premiere for Anna Karenina. Unquestionably talented Actor who is on the verge of becoming Hollywood’s next It Boy. Currently in Toronto filming Kick-Ass 2; lovely meeting his Wife, Sam Taylor-Wood who was a bit taken a back when I asked her for a Snap.
33. Paula Patton leaving her Hotel for Premiere of Disconnect. She was one of the sweetest Celebrities to have graced the City this Festival; extremely giving, friendly and just beautiful to the eye.
34. Chris Evans aka Captain America, at Press Conference for The Iceman. The Hunk has catapulted to the top after much persistence and dedication. Although he typically doesn’t sign Autographs, Fans were delighted by his generosity that day.
35. Penelope Cruz at Press Conference for Twice Born. Always a thrill to see this brilliant Spanish Actress, who has left her mark in Hollywood with a string of Oscar-worthy performances.
36. Chris O’Dowd at Premiere for The Sapphires. The lovable Funnyman spent a good amount of time with Fans as his Premiere with cigarette in-mouth, while earlier Harvey Weinstein milled about in the background, going in and out of VISA Screening Room checking audience reactions. One of the few Films which I saw an Audience give a standing ovation to outside the Theatre.
37. Zoe Kazan at the InStyle Magazine Party. You’ve definitely seen her before but just didn’t know her name. This humble and sweet Actress was spotted with her equally amazing Partner Paul Dano, taking Photos with several Fans. Currently in-town filming The F Word opposite Daniel Radcliffe, it’s quite possible we’ll be seeing her on the Red Carpet herself at TIFF 2013! While most Actresses opted for fluffy frocks and slinky dresses, she kept it cool and casual.
38. Johnny Depp at Premiere for West of Memphis. Although I physically wasn’t at this event, I did see Depp earlier in the day at the Press Conference for the Documentary, failing to fire a proper Snap of him as he hopped straight into his vehicle. He apparently was generous with Autographs upon arrival, although few who were persistent enough managed a Snap together with him. Thanks to my loyal Reader and Friend Sheetal for sending this in!
39. Gwyneth Paltrow at Premiere for Thanks for Sharing. Fans who lined the Carpet at Ryerson Theatre were in awe how kind this Oscar-winning Actress was with Fans. It definitely was one of my biggest regrets of the Festival, just missing her both arriving and leaving, but thanks again to Sheetal, I have a beautiful Snap to show you. Paltrow was in a great hurry to fly-out after walking the Red Carpet quickly.
40. Jeremy Irvine at the InStyle Magazine Party. I adore this Irish-born Actor v. much after having seen him in War Horse – the one single Movie which made me cry so hard my face hurt, last year. I’ll be the first to admit he’s a bit more reserved and quiet than I’d have imagined but still a great Guy. I also got to meet his younger Brother Toby, who is just breaking into Cinema appearing in Dickens Adaptation Great Expectations together. Thanks to my amazing Reader and Friend Nicole who generously sent this Snap over after my Camera failed to fire!
41. Zac Efron at Afterparty for The Paperboy. One of the Films I am most excited to see this year is this latest effort from Precious Director, Lee Daniels. The number one question I received on Twitter this Festival definitely was “Do you have any idea where Zac is staying?”. Everywhere he went there was chaos as that was the case at his Afterparty at Bloke and Forth, with Fans crowding to meet him, resulting in him having to be escorted-in prematurely.
42. Logan Lerman at The Writers Premiere. One of the biggest breakout Stars of TIFF 2012 is this Star of Percy Jackson. Praise has been universal for his other Film at the Festival, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, with Critics and Sir Paul McCartney singing the praises of the Novel Adaptation. He’s definitely an Oddball, but a good Guy.
It’s been an absolute blast making it through another TIFF together. Thank you all for your encouragement, Re-Tweets and kind words. Can’t wait till next year already! *bow*
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong | Additional Photos: Sheetal Nanda/Nicole Divitcoff/Laura Cordero)
How’s that for a rare Photo Op? Here’s Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper, Co-Stars in Derek Cianfrance‘s The Place Beyond the Pines, posing together on the Red Carpet for their Afterparty this evening. That lucky Lady!
Eva Mendes looked absolutely stunning tonight at the Afterparty for The Place Beyond the Pines, the Film responsible for bringing her together with Boyfriend, Ryan Gosling. Although she rarely does it, tonight was my lucky night as I got not one but two Photos with Mendes after the first one failed to turn-out!
The Crime Drama is set to be released in 2013, gaining lots of Oscar buzz at TIFF right now.
Everybody loves Ryan. Ryan Gosling appeared at the Premiere for his latest Film, The Place Beyond the Pines, directed by Derek Cianfrance. This latest Project pairs Gosling together with Director Derek Cianfrance once again – the two last working together on 2010’s Blue Valentine, which also premiered at TIFF.
Gosling was spotted heading to his After Party for the Film together with Cooper, although oddly-enough Jennifer Lawrence was said to be at the Premiere too, but didn’t join them afterward.
I was lucky enough to score an extra Autograph from the Actor who happens to star alongside People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive Winner, Bradley Cooper. Surely a few eyebrows must be raised here considering that many feel that Gosling is deserving of that Title. Stay tuned for more details on how to win this.