#COOKING: AT-HOME HOT DOGS RECIPE
At-Home Hot Dogs. We miss our Toronto Dogs and it makes us sad that something we grew-up loving so much is getting harder and harder to find in the City.
One of our joys living near Davisville Station was a friendly vendor working till the wee hours of the morning to ensure we had something to eat after a late night out. We also were happy to have a vendor at Yonge & Bloor where we lived for a few years too!
We decided to make our own “elevated” take, which were a more-than-able substitute for now till we’ll be able to go out again! How many of these can you finish? 🌭
4 Hot Dogs
4 Hot Dog Buns
1/2 white onion, sliced thin
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced thin
1/2 green pepper, sliced thin
1 whole garlic bulb
3 tbps Balsamic Vinegar
3 tbsps red wine
1 tsp organic raw sugar
4 tbsps olive oil
2 slices cheddar cheese, halved
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Suggested condiments: Ketchup, Relish, Honey Dijon Mustard, Sambal/Sriracha.
1. Take garlic bulb and chop-off bottom. Wrap in foil, add 2 tbsps oil and bake at 400°F for 40 minutes. Allow to cool and add salt, using fork to poke-out cloves. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet on medium-high. Once hot, toss-in onions and sautée till caramelized. Add Balsamic, wine, sugar, pepper and salt. Cook down till liquid evaporates. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet on medium-high. Once hot, toss-in peppers and sautée till caramelized. Add a couple tbsps of water and cook down till liquid evaporates. Season with pepper and salt.
4. Fill skillet with 1/2″ water on medium-high heat and boil. Add dogs and cook till water evaporates. Continue cooking till you get grill markings on hot dogs. Remove from pan.
5. Unfold buns and place on pan for 30 seconds to 1 minute till you get grill markings. Flip bun.
6. Assemble Hot Dog with dog, buns, toppings and choice of condiments. Use 1-2 garlic cloves for subtle flavour and four for an intense garlic flavour.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)