#COOKING: CHEESY LATKES RECIPE
Cheesy Latkes. Our favourite place to get a Rösti (like a giant Latke) in Toronto, Mövenpick Marche recently ceased operations and we will miss them! We are left to our own devices and since we have creative freedom at home, we’re doing these classic Potato Pancakes our way – with cheese. Latkes are popular among several cuisines including Jewish, German, Russian, Polish, Austrian, Hungarian and more. Serve these with a dollop of sour cream and smoked salmon, roast chicken or sausage if you wish!
3 large white potatoes, shredded with skin on
1 white onion, shredded
1/2 cup Mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup Panko or Bread Crumbs
1 tbsp potato starch
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
1. Combine shredded onion and potato in a large bowl. Use paper towels to absorb liquid and gently squeeze till dry.
2. Season with salt and pepper, add starch and Panko, mixing well.
3. Add cheeses and distribute evenly.
4. Shape mixture into discs, mixture should yield about 12 pucks or 6 generously-sized pancakes.
5. Once oil is hot, fry in oil in batches, careful not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes each side till golden brown.
6. Place on dish lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
7. Serve hot with sour cream. You may freeze uneaten portions.
(Photo credit: Mr. Will Wong)
View this post on Instagram